Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dog Drama

So my little "foo foo" dog, Squire, a rat terrier, had what appeared to be a pimple or bee sting under his tail to the side of his - you know.  Well it swelled and by noon it was weeping blood.  Trying to clean it to look at it ruptured it.  I cleaned it some more and became worried when black gunk came out with the blood.  At first I was worried that a foreign object had made it all the way through him and just at the end had made a wrong turn.

Nope - apparently their anal glands can rupture.  News to me.

It ended up leaving a pencil lead wide hole and so I called the vet Dr. Chip (who is awesome) but they closed at 12 and she had a prior appointment.  She didn't seem too concerned and said that if I couldn't get him in at another vet that she would see him first thing in the morning before her usual open time.

I did manage to get him in at a Banfield at a Petsmart (the staff there knew Dr. Chip so bonus).  They took good care of us, flushed out the rupture and sent us home with some meds.

Now Squire is passed out at my feet.  He had a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment