Monday, October 20, 2014

Ms. Bunn

Ms. Bunn, the name Rob has given the female rabbit I had bought to breed and got only one litter from before our goat let her loose on the world, had another litter of kits.  She has been living under the front porch for more than a month so I am not sure if she bred with a wild rabbit or in the last hoorahs of his life, Big Poppa got her pregnant during on of his freedom flings (thanks again to Camo).

There are five babies that we have been able to see. They are just small puffballs, taking their first explorations out side of the porch nest.  There are two cinnamon colored, like their mom, two white and black ones (which makes me think of Big Pappa), but there is also a darker colored one, a solid brown.  So maybe she did breed with a wild rabbit and the white and black is just the other colors in her gene pool.  I am not sure.

But I will say I am proud of Ms. Bunn.  She is a scrapper and she is making a life for herself under our front porch.  I wouldn't mind getting a few of her babies a little tamer, but they are quick and know to hide.  Which I am glad they are like that right now; it will keep them safer.

Maybe I should go read Watership down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment