Friday, October 3, 2014

Welcome Fall

The weather has turned.  The recent storms brought in a cold wind that has drawn a blanket of leaves across the ground.  The golden fade of the leaves still on the trees speaks to the cold and the deadly advance of winter.  As deadly as the predators that took the last two hens from the original flock.  I found the barred hen near the driveway, and the black hen was taken into the woods.  I will keep a closer eye on the rest of my chickens from now on.  Predators never go away, they just change coats.  Even the cold of winter may claim some livestock.  The persimmon seed I opened showed a spoon, heavy snows in the future.

It is crunch time for winter.  I had the chain for the electric chainsaw sharpened as that is my only reliable cutter at the moment.  I rebuilt the goats' movable shelter in time to keep them dry from the rains.  My next project is their winter quarters behind the garage.

I also need to get the nest boxes on the egg wagon.  I hope the hens will start laying soon.

In good news, a turkey is laying eggs.  I was very tickled to see those giant speckled eggs in the ivy garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment