Thursday, February 16, 2012

Time to Get Serious

I am resolving to make a blog post a week at least.  I want to start recording my thoughts, trials, adventures and triumphs on the way to owning a farm.  I admit I really started thinking about this when I started reading Cold Antler Farm.  But even before that, when I was young and horse crazy I thought owning a farm or ranch would be awesome.

I worked with horses through high school and college and a little afterwards since college didn't offer what I wanted.  They weren't teaching me anything I couldn't just buy a book to learn.  I enjoyed working at a horse rental barn and leading trails.  I enjoyed working for their son who trains, shows and sells show horses.  I enjoyed hands on, real world experience that you can't learn from reading a book.

I look at it this way.  You can read all the books you want about riding a bike but until you get on one and learn how to keep your balance you will never really know how to ride a bike.

So here is goes.

I am working on finishing fixing up this house that my husband and I have lived in for ten years.  We are going to sell it.  We are going to move to some acreage and begin a farm.  He still wants to work at his job in town just to make sure there is a secure income and I think that is a fantastic idea.  I want to work on the farm.

I want a sustainable farm with mostly animals.  I would like a personal garden, and if there is extra I can sell that too.  I would like to have a team of horses as my tractor but we will see how that goes.

I have been doing some research into this, but .... sometimes you just have to get on and find your balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment