Thursday, November 8, 2012

No go

Well the bank went with another offer on the house we were looking at, and actually I am ok with that.  I didn't want Mom and Dad in any sort of financial pinch for that house and they might have been until we sell this one.  Besides if I can find a property already partially set up with some outbuildings and fencing for the right price it means I can get to work filling those acres with a garden and livestock sooner.

And Dad bought me a tractor.  Mom is frustrated over the spent money.

I know he is doing what he thinks is best and perhaps in the short term a tractor would be better.  But in the long term I want a team of horses to do most if not all of the things I would want a tractor for.  Simply because I know a horse will start on a cold morning without any ether or warming etc.  I know if a horse throws a shoe how to get the work done without it, unlike if a tractor's tire goes flat and there is no quick way to fix it.  I know what to do if a horse comes up lame, and don't have the first clue as what to do if a tractor won't start.
I know horses eat all the time and a tractor only needs fuel when used, but at least with horses most of their 'fuel' can come from the land they live on.

There are the old ground driven farm devices that can still be found and some three point implements can simply be towed behind a fore cart.  And if there is something that must have a PTO I would prefer having an engine mounted on the fore cart to power it.

On another note ... I just emailed off my story to an 11 year old.  I am not sure how wise that was but her parents assured me she was allowed to read it.  Now all I have to do is wait for the scathing reviews .... hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment