Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Break in the heat

Finally got a break in the 100 degree heat and did some more work outside.  Starting to get wood for the chicken tractor.  I am 32 years old and have officially chopped down my first tree with an ax.  I had always used a chainsaw before.  It was a nice straight 12 foot cedar tree that will be one of the runners for the chicken tractor.  Cedars have a natural resistance to rot and bugs.  I will cut down one more and then the rest of the tractor will be recycled lumber and smaller branches.  I will post picks of the tractor once it is done (maybe the construction if I think of it.

In other news: Coyotes sang outside the window last night.  They sounded very close and it was a cool experience.  ... Must build strong chicken tractor.

Got MORE cucumbers in.  Most of them are pretty sad but there was one that actually looks like a proper cucumber.

 I will harvest the seeds from this one to plant next year.  I harvested the seeds from a store bought cantelope too.  I hope they don't mold on me.  I tried it once last year and failed.  I don't think I let them dry enough.

I think they will be my only harvest from the garden in Union this year. The few tomatoes and watermelons quit growing, not enough water. I will need to keep a better eye on that next year. The sunflowers are wilting too. Not sure homw many seeds I will be able to get from them.

 In the front yard what I thought was just a big bush has produced two apples!  One was pretty scrawny but the other looks like a proper apple.  I had wanted to plant an apple tree but maybe I won't have to.  Very excited.  I will have to trim back all the suckers and see if I can't make a proper tree from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment