Friday, December 20, 2013

Defrosted

Well the world finally defrosted and we are in the mud.  But at least the critters can get to some grass now.  I even had the goats and rabbits on the yard yesterday so they could try and get some grass in their bellies.

I did some yard work.  I fixed the dog fence that I had broke when I ran over it with the chicken tractor.  The dogs did fairly well with it being down but they figured out it was dead and would visit me in the garage when I was getting feed and what not.  At least they never wanted to leave the yard.

I got the chickens onto a fresh patch of ground and they immediately went to pecking at the grass.  In a few months I will probably be sending roosters to the dinner plate.  I plan on keeping one to try and breed them so I don't have to buy replacement chicks.  I like my grey one but he is very skinny and I don't want those genes passing along.  I may just keep the barred rooster, he is quieter (so far) and is among the fattest of the chickens.

I pulled the goat cage out of the woods and have them up on the long grass I let grow all summer.  They can stay on one patch for at least two days before I move them and then the grass will be short enough for the chickens.  I keep hoping the little billy I have will grow bigger, so far he is still pretty small.  I hope he isn't some kind of dwarf or runt.

I did finally send the papers off for the goats, the doe to be transferred to me and the billy to be registered.  I would really like the doe to be bred soon but I think Camo thinks of her as a mom still and not a girlfriend, even though she isn't his mom.

I tried to cut some of the honeysuckle down so the goats could eat it (it was too tall) but all I ended up doing was getting the vines stuck in the suck and having the chain jerked off the bar.

The weather is going to change today from the nice temperatures down to freezing this weekend again.  hopefully the precipitation won't freeze too much.  For awhile there was ice wherever I walked cause the snow packed down.  It was not fun sliding across the yard.

We hope to be able to get some more wood this coming week and start heating with that again.  I don't want to have to buy more propane.

Oh and in WoW news: Unfinished Tale got back up to raiding strength and actually cleared a raid Wednesday.  Very happy and proud of all our folks.

Mom and Dad will be coming in for the holidays Monday.  Not sure when my next update will be with the holiday crazies.
Everyone enjoy yourselves and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment