Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year

Happy New Year Folks!

This will be the first full year at the farm and I hope a true year of production here.  The chickens should start producing eggs in March.  I hope the rabbits will have babies soon.  I am waiting for Camo and Miss to get busy and make little goats.  In the spring I will turn the garden into a living thing again and possibly enlarge its borders.

For now I need to get going on cutting down trees so expand the pasture beyond the backyard where the dogs run.

We had good holidays here.  Mom and Dad left this morning.  We saw lots of friends and family.  And much food was consumed.

I don't consider myself a christian or catholic.  I am more of a pagan.  I believe in the chaos of nature and each piece of nature having a spirit and connected to each other.  I might even hug a tree.

But that doesn't mean I won't harvest them for firewood or making animal shelters.  It doesn't mean I won't kill an animal for food.  What it means is I try to care and respect those things which I use to keep us fed and comfortable.  I thank the tree as it falls.  I keep the animals in roomy areas with as much fresh food and water as they want, and I try to keep them interested in their surroundings.  (I don't like battery cages stuffed with 3 chickens or more).

Some people don't see this season beyond Christmas and Hanukkah (or whatever holiday one may celebrate).  Some don't see any celebration but their own.  And some are curious about how other people enjoy this gathering time.

I see it as rebirth time.  The sun begins its climb back to dominance.  The weather will soon change back to the like giving pattern.   The renewal is coming, and it is a time to break from the drudgery of the cold and dormancy of winter.

2014 Will be the year of the Farm.  (and the horse according to the Chinese calendar ... so maybe for me to).

No comments:

Post a Comment