Friday, August 15, 2014

The hens

The two hens from the original flock are both laying eggs.  The black hen had been laying fairly consisting for the past month.  But she will occasionally break an egg because she lays it from where she is roosting and it might hit a 2x4 at the bottom of the chicken tractor.
The past week I found an egg behind the rabbit cages under the deck.  I was pretty sure it is from the scarred back chicken (who escaped the last attack).  But this morning I confirmed it, as they had both laid eggs in the tractor last night.  I am so glad she started laying again.  I didn't want to cull her since she had survived the attack and she had healed up.
I also moved the broken legged chick back to the egg wagon.  It seems she is at the bottom of the pecking order but I like her out with the other chickens and in the fresh air with bugs and grass to eat.  I can tell she is smaller than the others even with just a little over a week inside to heal.

My back is well on its way to a full mend, finally.  I am pleased to say I have almost completely taken over the care of the critters again.  The past few days I only made Rob move the goat pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment