Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Freezer Flock

The meat birds were dispatched this weekend and are on their way to their new freezer homes.  They came out 4 lbs up to 5 lbs, pretty nice birds really.  I may do it again when things get settled.



The barred rock hen's feathers are coming back.  She still isn't laying eggs though so I will probably cull her once the other laying hens are big enough to socialize with the black hen.  I don't want to leave the black hen without another chicken.  Although she seems ok with hanging out with the turkeys.


Unfortunately I broke one of the laying hen chick's legs.  I was moving the egg wagon and she got caught under the back board.  I got it off of her but the damage was done.  Usually they walk away from the movement but she was just to dumb to get out of the way.  She isn't the first to get caught under it, but she is the first to break her leg.  So she gets two weeks in the house, kept in the cat carrier.  I splinted and taped up her leg.  It has been close to a week already and she is using it a little more to get around already.



And finally a cute picture of Spot with her dog Khain.


No comments:

Post a Comment