Friday, January 3, 2014

Making Babies!!

Or : Kindling isn't just for Amazon anymore....


As you can see there are tufts of white fur hanging around - which means Big Mama is finally making a nest!!
This was the last chance I was giving her to make babies so I guess she got the picture.
I have them in the garage/barn now because the temp is going to be down so low.  I do have a heat lamp on her so hopefully the babies will survive (provided she has them in the nest box provided).

I was getting very disheartened by the lack of babies from Big Mama (Lil' Mama will be able to be bred in Feb.)  That and Camo (the little goat buck) doesn't seem to be getting any bigger.  I am thinking I will see about talking to a vet to test for worms.

But the fact that Big Mama is actually building a nest is a huge boost.  I thought I was going to have an infertile farm there for awhile.

I will try and make the chickens as comfortable as possible since they are out in the weather.  Their tractor does have the cover and so far not even the roosters' combs have gotten frostbit.

Here's to hoping that we don't lose anyone in the coming cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment