Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Remade the garage

The garage had been a bit of a barn for the past several months.  In fact I had termed it the "barage".  But today I made room for Rob's car again (only 3 months after I kicked his car out so I could get to the lawn tractor).  I cleaned out most of what had been the goats' winter quarters and moved several large items into that area and gave back Rob's parking space.

We think the predator is gone, for now at least.  Not sure if our tricks to get rid of it worked or not, but there haven't been any disturbances lately.

Getting close to butcher time, for the three remaining rabbits and the meat birds.  I am trying to decide home much longer I want to let them go.  I may slaughter one of each, weigh what I get and decide from there.  I am thinking of keeping one of the female bunnies and line breeding.  I am hoping to get a little market of people wanting meat rabbits.  I will have to advertise the next batch though as no one at Rob's work wants to eat rabbit.  Or rather the two men that are willing to cook it aren't allowed to bring rabbit home because their wives don't want it.

I may seem strange to some, but when did we become so distanced from our food that we can't accept that killing an animal is where our meat comes from?

I understand domestic dogs, cats, and horses aren't something many Americans will eat (or myself unless the apocalypse happens) but even chickens are things that people can't accept having to kill.  So long as it is wrapped in plastic and doesn't have eyes people are ok with cooking it.  But where do they think it came from?

No comments:

Post a Comment