Thursday, June 19, 2014

the things that happened

Mom and Dad came in town and I immediately put Dad to work.  He helped chop up the large section of tree that fell a few weeks ago. We had to get out the tractor to try and pull it all the way down since it was still partially attached to the tree but had no luck.  So the tree will just have to hang into it until it finally drys and gives up.  But we got most of it cut off and stacked to dry for a fire.




The chicks came in Monday.  Just as I was getting ready to go get them from the post office I found a black snake in the garage where they were to be kept.  I managed to catch the snake but I had it by its tail because it had been trying to get away.  I went to grab its head but he did manage to bite me.  Luckily he wasn't poisonous.  I had to do away with the snake though because I didn't want to run a chance of him getting any of the chicks.
All of the chicks survived the trip but one, so with the free exotic I have 20 chicks.  10 are meat birds and already showing a faster growth rate than the other 10 laying hens.


The rabbits are doing well.  I tipped over the nest box because the babies were starting to jump out.  They are starting to eat grass and pellets.  Turns out I miscounted and I have 7 babies, not 6, so yay!  The runt is still growing and staying fat.




And the turkeys wanted a picture as well.  They are growing really well.  I think they will  be great eating birds this fall.




No comments:

Post a Comment