Monday, June 2, 2014

Broodiness

So they white hen is in a brood faze, unfortunately I only had one egg available to put under her since she stopped laying.  The other chickens' combs are pink and not red so I think they are going through their molt and not laying as much.  The one egg I saw today had fallen from the nest box and was broken.  I wish I had been more aware and gathered more of the white hens eggs and didn't put them in the fridge so she could try and hatch them.  As it is I am not sure the one egg I have her is fertile.  I will try and collect more in the next few days to give her but I don't want to spread out their hatching time too much.

The chickens and turkeys have slacked off on eating the fallen mulberries but I am not sure if that is a blessing or a curse.  Their poop turns black because of the berries and it is everywhere.  I need to take the time to collect some berries and attempt making jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment