Friday, July 11, 2014

And then there were three

Lost another hen to the predator today (going to call it a fox for now).  The black hen's feathers were next to the propane tank and there was a small trail into the woods.  But like before, the trail ended and I was left with nothing.

I have gone from 6 hens and a rooster to 3 hens.

I moved the chicken tractor up and put up the plastic fence again but those hens won't stay in it, and there is no way that will stop a fox.  I don't know what I can do for the turkeys.  So far they haven't been targeted.  I hope they are just too big for the fox.

I will have to move the three hens into the chicken wagon until I can resolve this issue.

My laying chicks are becoming more and more important with the loss of these hens.  They are growing well, but I had wanted to get them into the wagon next week.  But if I have the older birds in there that won't work.  The older birds would tear those chicks up.

Losing the white hen was bad, but at least it had gotten quite since then, but now, losing 3 birds this close together is becoming a crisis.  These birds were a source of income and paying for the feed that had fed them the four months they needed to grow into laying hens.

I will leave my big dog out most of the weekend and hope for the best.  He doesn't know it yet, but he is going to lose the air conditioning and become a working dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment