Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Buying eggs

I accomplished a lot today.  Finished the egg wagon, put a new door on the meat bird tractor, and made sure everyone was fed, watered and safe.  But there was one thing I had hoped never to do again, that I had to do.

I asked Rob to pick up some eggs from the store on his way home today.

I only have two laying hens left and neither one seems to be in the mood to lay eggs.  I can't really blame them after the rest of their flock was decimated last week, but I had hoped after a couple of days they would be back in the laying routine.

No such luck.

I had gotten spoiled on free range eggs.  I was recently taken out to breakfast by some friends and it was very good.  But the over-easy egg I ordered looked limp, runny, and pale.  I was shocked.  I hadn't thought I had seen or tasted much of a difference when I had started eating the home raised eggs, but seeing that sad egg on the plate made me appreciate the darker and creamier yolks from my eggs.

It almost think I need to charge more for my eggs!  (once I start getting enough eggs to sell again.)

In that thought:  Still no sighting of the fox.  Which I am thankful for and wary of, no more chickens killed, but the anxiety waiting for the next attack wears on the nerves.  I hope when I move the new hens out to the egg wagon the fox doesn't reappear.

I was going to put the young hens out today, but in a freak weather of low 50s at night, I think I will wait one more day.

The hen that had some skin removed from her back is antsy to get out with her last flock-mate.  I want to make sure she is strong enough to make a run for it if the fox comes again.  But the black hen visits her consistently during the day.  It is kind of cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment