Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Rooster down

The rooster did his job today and defended his hens.  Unfortunately he lost the fight with whatever it was that dragged him into the woods.  Me and Rob tried to track him but eventually there were no more feathers to follow or easy tracks in the leaves.  We aren't experienced at tracking.  I was counting on feathers or blood to follow and only had feathers until those ran out.  The naked neck hen is missing too.  I didn't see any feathers from her, so I am hoping she is just hiding.

The attack happened while it was still light out, around 7:30 pm.  I was on the computer and heard a big commotion from the turkeys and saw them running up to the deck, looking rather frantic.  I went out and saw the barred rock feathers, and wasn't sure if it was from a hen or the rooster (later found both barred rock hens).  I followed it for a short time into the woods, but I was in shorts with my ratty yard shoes on and no weapon.

I went back to the house and told Rob about the attack and changed into jeans, better shoes and loaded the gun.  He grabbed the hoe and we trekked into the woods.  After a half hour of searching we couldn't find a trail to follow.  Our best guess is a fox.

I had thought the birds would be safe in the backyard with so much dog scent around, but obviously that isn't the case.  I will have to find more ways of keeping the birds safe, especially with this second attack and moving out the chicks tomorrow.  My best idea for the immediate future is to leave the dogs outside more.

No comments:

Post a Comment