Sunday, January 5, 2014

Bad Mama

Well Big Mama only had 3 babies.  But that isn't the worst of it.  She didn't cover them in the nest box so they died.  I had gone out around 11 that night to check on them but she hadn't delivered and so when I went out around 7:30 they were cold in the nest box.  Very disappointing.  Especially after all the chances I gave her to have babies.  I guess I got took on buying her.  She is probably too old to have a proper litter (8 babies or so).

Snow is coming down heavily today again.  I think this is one of the snowiest winters I can remember (maybe I am wrong).  The news said it is falling about an inch an hour and won't let up until this afternoon or evening.  I put another piece of cardboard on the front of the covered area of the chicken tractor to give them more of a windbreak.  It is supposed to get to a high of -3 today or tomorrow.  Not looking forward to that.  I hope I have done enough for the chickens.  The rabbits and the goats are in the garage/barn so they should be alright.  I also have the big tractor's battery charging.

Not sure how deep the snow is going to get; we may have to do a test run of getting Rob's car out of the garage tonight.

Here's hoping everyone stays warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment