Thursday, January 16, 2014

Roller Coaster

Seems like I have been mentioning weather a lot lately.  But when it has this much affect on your daily life you take notice.  When the temps drop to dangerous lows it makes it tough not only on me but the critters as well.  The water is the toughest issue, keeping everyone's liquid refreshment ... liquid.
The past few days have gone from highs of 50s - 60s to lows in the teens at night.  It can play havoc on a critters system.  I know with the horses at the barn we were always careful with them cause the shifts in weather like this could make them colic if you worked them to hard.
I have been getting over a sinus infection (I think).  Those few days of illness had me laid out.  Rob helped with the critters in the evening but the morning chores I was on my own.  Frequent breaks in walking were a must, I just didn't have any strength when I was sick.
The goats tore up the gate to the back of the garage to get at the hay.  So while sick, I had to put up a new gate made from a pallet.  It seems to working much better and is keeping them out of the remains of the hay reserves.
Now I just need to find somewhere close to replenish those hay reserves.  Next year I will get 20 instead of just 10 bales at the beginning of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment